During my tenure at doing design and drafting, there are few projects that really have me 'thinking outside the box'. This project definitely required the best of my skills as many issues had to be addressed to meet the wishes of not only the client but also the building and zoning regulations.
As you can tell by the Site Plan, this detached garage could not be built like most conventional garages. The shape you could say is a 'boomerang' and this was done to meet requirements of the City. It is approx. 1,357 SF of very useable space for the owner who has a great hobby.....restoration of cars. The garage has some unique features;
1. The front half has a ceiling height of 9'-1" with attic storage trusses above
2. The HVAC system will be done by an air handler placed within the attic storage area - this unit will have more than adequate space for servicing if needed
3. We have placed an attic access ladder accordingly.
4. Both garage doors front and rear are both 8'-0" high. This is basically a 'drive thru' garage.
5. The rear of the garage will have a 2 post car lift - height needed for the lift is 11'-6".
6. Side walls of the rear portion is 11'-6" but the trusses used will be scissor trusses, creating a vaulted ceiling.
7. The highest portion of the vaulted area will be approx. 13'-2". This will easily accommodate a pickup or van when on the lift.
8. The entire garage will be insulated with Spray-in-Place Foam to provide not only good insulation but also be a very quiet from both inside and outside noise.
9. A 100 amp sub-panel will handle the HVAC and other 220V tools with ease.
10. A utility sink is being installed although I had suggested also a '1/2 Bath'. This would had been a convenient option but a sink will only be added.
11. All wall construction is 2x6 and the entire structure will have Stucco exterior with matching roofing tiles as that of the home.
The issues that regulated the final site location pertains to property setback lines as well as the distance from the existing home. The time involved to come up with a suitable design to meet everyone's requirements was overwhelming. I am proud to say that the goals were accomplished and the project is now underway.
This project is under construction by High Peaks General Contracting LLC who can be reached at (480) 471-6402
I also want to thank the owner for providing me with great progress pictures...without his help....there would be no gallery of how this project came together from start to finish!!!!
If you have questions or desire design and drafting services, please send me an e-mail to Doug@allprohomeservices.com or call 623-340-1163. Check out our website at http://www.allprohomeservices.com